Pike County, Pennsylvania, 1814 - 2014

I arrived home this morning and found a treasure on the doorstep, a rare hardcover edition of the program for the Bi-Centennial Celebration of Milford, Pike County, Pennsylvania 1733* - 1933.  An auspicious start to this, the 200th year of the formation of Pike County, 1814 - 2014, and an opportunity to examine the history of the first Pike County Court & Courthouse, explore  available Pike County records and vintage county land owner maps.


(c) Pike County Historical Society, 1933

Much of the material in the 1933 Bi-Centennial book is excerpted or paraphrased from The History of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties, Pennsylvania by Alfred Mathews; Philadelphia, R. T. Peck & Co.; 1886.  Mathews' work can present difficulties when attempting to source his oral histories, traditional stories and claimed legends of the county, so proceed with caution. There is, however, lots of substantial material from state & county records: 

THE COURTS.- The first court "in and for the county of Pike" was held in the house latterly occupied by Mrs. Lee, in a room of good size up-stairs, and the county offices were crowded into the same house. The earliest entry that can be found upon the oldest book of records in existence is that of a court December 6, 1814, Associate Judges John Coolbaugh and Daniel W. Dingman "being present." The case entered was that of James Wallace against John Barnes. The action was made returnable January 16, 1815. A transcript from a justice's docket was entered, showing judgment for the plaintiff of one hundred and ninety-eight dollars.

...Judge Daniel W. Dingman sat upon the bench as associate judge for a period of twenty-six years, dating from the erection of the county, and his confrere, Associate Judge John Coolbaugh, held his exalted position nearly as long.

... The county commissioners first elected- Hezekiah Bingham, Cornelius Case and John Lattimore- held their initial meeting November 2, 1814, and after producing and filing their certificates and qualifications according to law, elected John Cross their clerk, at a salary of one hundred and fifty dollars per year, and Francis A. L. Smith, treasurer.

When they came to the consideration of the probable expenses of the county for the ensuing year, the board resolved to levy a tax of half a cent upon the dollar on all taxable property in the county. They then proceeded to the appointment of assessors in those townships, in which none had been elected according to law, viz.: in Palmyra, Moses Killam, Jr., with Erastus Kimble and Simeon Chapman as assistants; in Lackawaxen, John Crissman, with Mordecai Roberts and Jeremiah Barnes, assistants; in Upper Smithfield, Edward Mott, Jr., with Jacob Quick and George Westfall, assistants; in Delaware, Solomon Westbrook Jr., with Cooper Jagger and Everett Hornbeck, assistants; Middle Smithfield, Alexander Biles, with Daniel Jaynes and Andrew Eighlenbergh [Eilenberger], as assistants. (Note portions of Middle Smithfield would be set off to Monroe County.)

 
Pike County Courthouse of 1874 on the left, the original Courthouse & Jail of 1814 on the right

...The work of erecting the court-house was begun in 1814 and the stone building still standing and used as a jail was completed in 1815. It was substantially constructed of native boulders hewn square on the outer side, and the thoroughness with which its walls were laid puts to shame much more recent workmanship. The contractors were Dan. Dimmick, Jacob Quick and Samuel Anderson. At first there was no bell upon the court-house, and when the judges and lawyers and persons interested were to be summoned, the sheriff mounted the cupola and blew most piercing blasts upon a huge tin horn. This was superseded by a huge triangle, upon which the sheriff or a tipstaff dealt resounding blows that were not unmusical, and this, in turn, gave way in 1844 or 1845 to the bell which for many years announced at proper seasons that justice was about to be judicially administered.

This building served as court-house and jail until 1873, when the present court-house was constructed, and the county offices were within its walls until 1851, when a small brick building was erected in front of the site occupied by the present court-house. This was built under contract by George P. Heller.  The present handsome brick court-house, containing all of the county offices and a commodious court-room, was built in the years 1872-7[4], the first action being taken at the February and September Sessions of court in 1871.

The contract for the foundations was let to S.S. Van Auken, but afterwards rescinded and the work was done by the commissioners and sub-contractors.  The contract for building was let March 2, 1872, to A.D. Brown, for $26,096. He was afterwards allowed considerable sums for extra work. The cost of this edifice as completed has been, after careful computation by competent persons, fixed at about $45,0O0.

The people of Milford raised about $1000, purchased two town lots adjoining the public square and donated them to the county as a proper site for the building.  ~ Chapter I, Civil History. A fully searchable version of the Mathews' work is available at Hathitrust here.  
Cornerstone of the Pike County Courthouse, presented by John Fletcher Kilgour




Laying of the Corner Stone of the New Court House at Milford-Imposing Ceremonies-Fine Address by Rev. John Reid.
According to announcement the corner stone of the nwe Court House at Milford was laid yesterday afternoon.  A large concourse of people, among them representatives of nearly every part of Pike county, witnessed the ceremonies. ...




After the address, an ode was sung by the choir, when C. W. Bull, esq., announced the following articles to be place in the box to be sealed in the corner-stone:  Copy of report of the Grand Juries recommending a new court house and list of their names, order of court thereon.  Copy petition of commissioners to the court for an order to issue bonds of the county, order thereon.  Resolution of commissioners to build Court House, state of plan, contracts, &c. Copy of list of subscription to purchase lot to donate to the country as a site for the Court House.   Historical sketch of the county, public buildings, courts, &c.








Contents of the Courthouse Corner Stone, 1872.

List of officers of the court, county, representatives and resident members of the bar.  Cross's map and book of the county.  Milford Herald, Pike County Democrat, N.Y. Observer, Advocate and Journal, Public Ledger.  A court house Bond.  Rules of court, commissioners check.  Silver dollar issue of 1872, presented by J. Wallace Heller.  Copy of address delivered by Rev. John Reid.  Holy bible.  Copy of order of exercises.  Full set of the national fractional currency of the present issue, presented by W. H. Armstrong.  Treasurer's deed, bond and list of Treasurer's sale of 1872.










September 15, 1874.



The original Pike County Courthouse, which now houses the Sheriff's Office, is the second oldest courthouse in the State of Pennsylvania.

By the fall of 1874 the new courthouse was completed.  The Evening Gazette would note the approximate county population at the time was 9,000 inhabitants.

 

 

 





 

 

 

 

Pike County Court House,  c 1875.

 
 

Researching the Records of Pike County Online


Researching the county has always been problematic; Land Records, Deeds and Wills for the present boundaries of Pike County can be found in Bucks County through 1751, Northampton County through 1798, and Wayne County through March of 1814. FamilySearch.com, besides census records, has added browse only Probate Records for Bucks, Northampton and Wayne Counties should one care to wade through the material with the above dates in mind. Abstracts of Northampton County Wills & Estate Records, 1752-1802 is a helpful tool for pinpointing probate dates in order to find the original material in the browse only records as above. The Land Records Indices can be found on the PA State website here or in this fully searchable transcription for the Northampton Co Warrant Register as hosted by the State.  

County Maps

1872, F. W. Beers, Topographical Map of Pike Co., Pennsylvania Historic & Museum Commission or here, Library of Congress.  Loads of land owners, schools, roads, etc on this great Beers map.

Beers Map of Pike Co PA, 1872, detail Lehman Township

Pike County Township Warrantee maps, Pennsylvania Historic & Museum Commission:
Blooming Grove, Delaware, Dingman, Greene, Lackawaxen (North), Lackawaxen (South), Lehman, Milford, Palmyra, Porter, Shohola, Westfall. These maps are a treasure for the Minisink family researcher, the only such maps in the Tri-States NY NJ PA area.

Based on the Warrantee surveys, the 19th century John Cross map of Pike Co.: A map of the county of Pike, Pennsylvania : shewing the location and form of the original surveys with the numbers by which they are designated on the commissioner's books of said county : also the townships, streams, roads, plank roads, railroads, canals, and principal places is available from the Library of Congress.

Sanborn Fire Insurance maps for the County Seat, Milford: 1885, 1897, 1905, 1912. Apparently the other villages & towns of the county were too small for Sanborn to include in their database.

Reseaching Pike County Records On Site


The Pike County Historical Society, at 608 Broad St, Milford, abounds in resources: newspaper clippings, family files, local history books, obituaries and cemetery records. The staff will conduct research for a fee or allow you to research for a donation.  An 1877 Map of the Borough of Milford is among the many items on display. The Pike Co Administration Building, at 506 Broad St in Milford, holds volumes of Wills, Deeds, and oversize editions of each of the Township Warrantee Maps.


McLaughlin House, 1904, home of the Pike Co Historical Society

To the best of my knowledge only one Provincial Pennsylvania settler of the Minisinks survived two frontier wars and each incarnation of County - from Bucks to Northampton to Wayne to Pike - and that is Captain Johannes Van Etten, (1732 - 1815) Northampton County Militia,  who died the year after Pike County was formed. He rests alongside his second wife, Rachel Williams, in a quiet corner of Milford Cemetery.

 photo (c) 2013 Michael J Harding

Special thanks to Milford Borough Secretary, Lizanne Samuelson, Joseph White, & Michael Harding.

Notes


*As of this date, I've located no warrant for land as early as 1733, nor evidence that Thomas Quick, Sr. held such patent.  A lengthy discussion on the historical records can be found in our entry on Van Etten's 1756 Account of the Death of Thomas Quick

The Mathews history, without source or footnote, states:
About the year 1733 a Hollander named Thomas Quick emigrated from the Fatherland to the colony of New York, and not long afterwards located on the Delaware, in what afterwards became known as Upper Smithfield, and still later as Milford, Pennsylvania. His circumstances were equal to those of the affluent Dutch immigrants of that period. He pitched his tent considerably in advance of his predecessors, and, according to the testimony of his descendants, was the pioneer settler of Milford. Quick erected a log cabin, cleared land and built a barn, which he stored with wheat and maize, the fruits of his industry. 

In Early Pennsylvania Land Records as transcribed on Ancestry.com (subscription) shows a Petition to James Logan, Philadelphia, 1727:  ...Jacobus Bruin, John Hamilton, Joseph Wheeler, Thomas Quick & Hendrick Schoomaker presented a Petition to purchase parcels of vacant land on this side Delaware of the Indians, who claim it, in order to make settlements for themselves...  There is, however, no evidence as yet if this is the Thomas Quick who held the Warrant of 1750 in present day Pike County.

It is likely Thomas Quick settled on the land before 1750, the provincial warrant being issued after the fact. Perhaps more material will come to light in the future.

Quick's Mill tract on the Vandermark Creek, Milford Township Warrantee Map

Villages of Sussex and Warren Counties, 1845

Continuing the exploration of the British Library's photostream on Flickr, the following 1845 illustration images are noteworthy for the multiple sizes available for downloading. Google eBooks' edition images are available but smaller.

There are no copyright restrictions, and one needn't be a member of Flickr to download an image. Click on any image on the main BL page for the title then right click for the multiple sizes download page or follow the page links under each illustration below.

Illustration selections from Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey (The British Library); John Warner Barber, Henry Howe; 1845 edition. Note additional views of  villages: Sparta, Hope, etc. Text selections of township population statistics & location from Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey (Google eBook);1846 edition.


Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, page 498

Newton was once called Sussex Court House.
Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, page 497

Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, page 509

Deckertown is the present day town of Sussex
Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, page 491




Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, page 503



Flatbrookville & Walpack Township



Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey, page 534

Meenesink


The Falls of the Sawkill, 1830 - 1875



FALLS OF THE SAWKILL.
"In point of beauty and picturesque effect, this is one of the finest waterfalls in our country, however it may be surpassed by many in the volume of water ... It is situated about a mile from the town of Milford, in Pike county, Pennsylvania, on the Sawkill, a stream, the sources of which are two small lakes, laying west of the town, at an elevation of several hundred feet above it.  A foot path leading in a southwesterly direction from the village, conducts the visitor to the spot...."

The Ladies' Companion, Volumes 3-4, 1835, p 97.


Asher Brown Durand's engraving, captioned The Falls of the Sawkill, after a watercolor by William James Bennett, and printed by Illman & Pilbrow in 1830, is in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. "William James Bennett's watercolor with full title, The Falls of the Sawkill, near Milford, Pennsylvania, can be found in the annual exhibition record of the National Academy of Design, where Bennett exhibited in 1831." states Kevin Avery, Associate Curator, The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Avery further adds the original Bennett watercolor is missing.

An image of the first publication of the steel engraving by Asher Brown Durand, The Falls of the Sawkill, is also found on page 31  (slightly foxed) of The American Landscape, by William C. Bryant, 1830, on the British Library's Flickr stream.


The Falls of the Sawkill, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Unknown artist's woodcut of the Sawkill Falls published in 1843, in Historical Collections of the State of Pennsylvania, Sherman Day, p 598. Illegible artist signature in lower right corner.

Historical Collections of the State of Pennsylvania, Sherman Day, 1843.


A founding member of the Philadelphia Sketch Club, George Bensell, painted the falls in 1864.  His work, Sawkill Falls, is in the collection of the Pike County Historical Society. Bensell's widow, Josephine Crissman Bensell, born in Milford, would return there after his death.  Twenty years later Josephine married John C. Westbrook. 


The Sawkill Falls, by George Frederick Bensell (1837 - 1879)


Thomas Moran: The Field Sketches, 1856 - 1923, catalogs numerous drawings of the Adams, Sawkill, Raymondskill & Vandermark creeks circa 1865.  The Raymondskill, by Edmund Stedman, with illustrations of the falls by Granville Perkins, appeared in The Aldine, 1872.

While a host of artists visited Milford to capture the Sawkill Falls, Winslow Homer, in 1869 headed downstream to paint the view from the mouth of the Sawkill at the Delaware River - Montague Township, Sussex County NJ is on the right, Milford  Borough and Township, Pike County PA on the left.  The painting appeared in the The American Art Society of Philadelphia exhibition of 1907.  Reproduced in black and white in Fine Arts Journal, Vol. 19, No.1, 1908, p 8, the painting was titled "Outlet, Sawkill River - Milford, PA" though river is redundant for kille is the middle Dutch word for a water channel, locally know as a creek.


The location of Winslow Homer's 1869 painting of the Sawkill is at present unknown.  Homer exhibited the painting in 1870 at the National Academy of Design in New York. The work also appeared in a 1935 exhibition "American Art 1770 - 1929" at the Findlay Galleries, Chicago IL. The Peter Finlay Gallery in New York includes a color photo in their collection of "Memories."

"Outlet, Sawkill River" photo (c) Peter Finley Gallery


The dramatic scene of an angler at the foot of the falls first appeared in The Aldine magazine. The artist, Henry Singlewood Bisbing (1844-1933) born in Philadelphia and schooled at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, would eventually settle abroad.  As a member of the Paris Society of American Artists, he would be awarded France's Legion of Honor.

Sawkill Falls Near Milford Pa. by H. Singlewood Bisbing, The Aldine, 1875.
  
Jesse Graves' 19th century photograph of the Sawkill Falls in the collection of the Boston Public Library, is among the best such works of the period. A resident of Stroudsburg, Graves' Delaware Water Gap Guidebook, 1875, drew many visitors to the area.  52 of his stereoscopic views are found in the New York Public Library's Digital Collections

Sawkill Falls, Jesse A. Graves, courtesy Boston Public Library


The Sawkill Falls "one of the finest waterfalls in our country" is no longer open to the general public. The US Forest Service at Grey Towers National Historic Site hosts occasional field trips into the Sawkill Gorge - reservations required.

Brodhead's Map of the 17th C New Netherlands Charters

The British Library has begun posting images of book illustrations on Flickr's Commons.  They've requested viewers to add tags to improve searching into this vast treasure trove from the past so the going is difficult for now except when searching for titles and authors. I'm posting the left section of a map for its interesting notes on the Minisink (tag added) region.

As found on the early Van der Donck's map, E. M. Ruttenber translates "Minnessinck ofte t'Landt van Bacham" as "Indians inhabiting the back or upper lands," or the highlands in  Footprints of the Red Men,  New York State Historical Association, 1906.

The British Library's image: Map of New Netherland According to the Charters granted by The States General, on the 11 October, 1614, and 3rd of June, 1621, to Illustrate Brodhead's History of the State of New York, 1853, p 8, p 9. (Note:  This may be the first edition, later editions on Google eBooks don't seem to have the map or the image is not available.)

Click on this link to the Flickr Image to enlarge, then right click to download the Commons original size (1472 x 2477) or click on the word Photo order a higher quality image.
Drawn & Engraved by Sherman & Smith, N.Y. - No known copyright restrictions
Yet another discovery on the shelves at the BL is Edmund O'Callahan's map in The History of New Netherland; or, New York Under the Dutch, 1846, page 321. Note this map refers to an Indian settlement, T'schichte on the East side of the River as found on the Van der Donck map. See our updated entry on Locating Theeshacht.

17th Century Ennes Wild Cards

I've been collecting intriguing references to the surname variants of Ennes for some time now. Entries 1 - 5 are true wild cards with no known connection to the William Ennes family of Kingston & the Minisink.  Entries 6 & 7 have a minimal relation between the Ennes & Goederus families - a bequest and a common residency, Kingston, for a few short years lead me to believe there may be an in-law connection. Updates will appear upon discovery. 

(1) 


Barent Ennesen van Noorden, company smith and corporal, Vol IV, Council Minutes. p 521.
Van Norden/Ennesz 
[Index:]  Barent Ennesen/Barent [pages] 386, 387, 394, 395, 396


(2)
Overseers

Source:  The Register of New Netherland, 1626 to 1674 (Google eBook), Edmund Bailey O'Callaghan, 1865, p 136.

(3)

Source: Calendar of Historical Manuscripts in the Office of the Secretary of State, Albany, N.Y.: Dutch manuscripts, 1630-64 (Google eBook) New York (State). Secretary's Office;1865; p 118.

(4)

Interesting to find an Ennesen coupled with a Gomaers in the Brazil Colony - variants of both surnames, Ennes & Gumaer appear in the Minisink: 

Baptisms 1641 April 7 - Hillebrant. Ouders (parents): Jan Ennesen & Agnieta Gomaers - under the heading Hollanders in Brazil

Source:  Algemeen Nederlandsch Familieblad, Volume 5 (Google eBook) Bureau Groenendaal, 1888, p 172.
 ECARTICO is a comprehensive database which was built to collect, organize and analyze data concerning painters, engravers, printers, book sellers and others involved in the cultural industries of the Low Countries in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
(6)

New Amsterdam Marriages:
1683 25 Apr; Frans Goderus, jm van N. Yorke; Rebecca Ennes, jd van Amsterdam
1685 20 Apr; Barent Hybon, jm van N. Yorke; Sara Ennes, jd van Amsterdam, beyde wonende alhier

Kingston Baptisms: 

1684 Jan 27; Frans Goderis, Rebecca Ennes; Rachel; Jan W. Hoogteyling, Geesie Lievens
1684 May 04; Pieter Pieterz Lasse, Cathryn; Johannes; Willem Dansic, Johannes Juriaanz [Westfall? -ed.], Rebecca Ennes
1685 May 03; Frans Goderis, Rebecca Ennes; Jacomyntie; Nicolaus Rooseveld, Hilletie Janz

New Amsterdam Baptisms:
1686 Mar 24; Barent Hybon, Sara Ennes; Jan; Johannes Hybon, Geertruyd Hybon
1689 Mar 10; Barent Hyben, Sara Ennes; Rachel; Jilles Provoost, Geesje Lievens
1689 Mar 25; Frans Goderus, Rebecca Ennes; Catharina; Abraham de Peyster, Catharina de Peyster
1691 Sep 13; Barent Hybon, Sara Ennes; Maria; Laurens Thomaszen, Rebbecca Ennes
1691 Nov 22; Frans Goderus, Rebecca Ennes; Sara; Laurens Thomaszen, Saertie Ennes
1693 Mar 12; Frans Goderus, Rebecca Ennes; Rebecca; Gerrit Duycking, Catharina Leeuwis
1694 Mar 11; Barent Hybon, Sara Ennes; Geertruyt; Leendert Lievens, Maria Provoost
1695 Mar 03; Frans Goderus, Rebecca Ennes; Jacomyntie; Leendert Liewens, Hendrickje Duycking
1696 Dec 16; Frans Goderus, Rebecca Ennes; Joost; Thomas Lievens, Anna Van Stryen
1697 Jan 24; Barent Hybon, Sara Ennes; Barent; Thomas Lievens & his wife, Catharina Lievens wife of Thomas Laurenszen
1699 May 21; Lowrense Thomase, Catharina Lewes; Cornelis; Harme Ruthgers, Sara Ennes wife of Barent Hybon

Source - Bob Billard's Dutch Records Search Engine for Ennes

(7)
Minisink Valley Genealogy entry:
Jeremy Kettle's Bequest to William Ennes, 1703
"...It is worth noting here that Jeremy Kettle's wife Catharina is a Guderis var. Goderis, Goderus, Gouderus, Goederus. Their first son, Jeremy was baptised in Kingston in 1675.  In 1683 a New Amsterdam marriage is recorded for Frans Goderus, jm van N. Yorke; Rebecca Ennes, jd van Amsterdam.  Two of the Goderus - Ennes children, Rachel  and Jacomyntie, would be baptized in Kingston in 1684 & 1685 respectively, thereafter this young family appears in the New Amsterdam records as residents, along with Sara Ennes and her husband Barent Hyben, on Hoogh Straat (High Street).

(7a)

Dutch-Colonies-L discussion posits Catharina Guderis Kettle is elder sister to Frans Goderus:
Notes for JOOST GODERUS:
From: dkoenig@library.berkeley.edu (Dorothy Koenig)

You will want to read the article "Joost Goderis, New Amsterdam
Burgher, Weighmaster, and Dutch Master Painter's son" by Elva Kathleen
Lyon. It appeared in the October 1992 issue of "The New York Genealogical
& Biographical Record", Volume 123, Number 4, pages 193-202....
Joost was the son of Johannes/Hans Goderis and Tanneken van Goorel/Gorel,
the daughter of Hans van Gorel from Brabant and Josyntie Gelis.

Johannes Goderis was a master painter of marine and river scenes in the
early 1600s. He was the son of Joris Godderis -- who lived in Haarlem but
who was originally from Paschendale in Flanders (now in Belgium) -- and
his wife, Maurintgen Lybaerts. They were married before 1600.

In the last paragraph of the article cited above the author says, "[Joost
Goderis ... and his wife Jocomijntie Frans ... may also have had] a
daughter "Catharina Guderis", wife of Jeremiah Kettel..."


~~~

Family Search:  Ennes > Netherlands > 1600 - 1700

The Minisink Subscribers to the 1810 "Fifty-Three Sermons on the Heidelbergh Catechism"

The New York Public Library's rare copy of the 1810 English language translation of the Dutch edition of Fifty Three Sermons on the Heidelbergh Catechism, by the Rev. John Vanderkemp, is notable for the bound in Subscriber pages (xxxi - xxxv) featuring a list of well-to-do patrons who underwrote the cost of publication, often in return for a discount. Typically this would be the first print run as delivered to the subscribers - subsequent runs would lack these pages further reducing the cost.  The list of subscribers, a virtual Who's Who of the Dutch Reformed Church in America in 1810, is fascinating for its helpful bracketing of community place names or congregations & heads of families in the Minisink Valley from a period when other records are scarce.

Surnames variants of the Clove, Flatbrook, Mehakkemack, Menissing, Shappanack and Walpeck families include:  Bennet, Carmer, Carpenter, Cole, Cuddebeck, Depuis, Ennes, Force, Gomar, Hoornbeek, Lambert, Little, Middagh, Neerpass, Quick, Rosencrans, Rowles, Swartwout, Titsworth, Van Aken, Van Bunschooten, Van Campen, Van Gorden, Van Neste, Van Nimwegen, Van Noy, Van Vliet, Vredenburg, Westbrook and Westfall.

Update:  At least one subscriber listed below is a resident of Pennsylvania and a member of the Mehakkemack (New York) congregation - Vanaken, Garret (1810 U.S. Census) Pennsylvania, Wayne, Upper Smithfield Twp. Series: M252 Roll: 57 Page: 118.





William Smith's 1807 Legacy to the Clark & Schoonover Families

While reading through the Pennsylvania Probate Records for Wayne County, I happened upon the Last Will & Testament of William Smith, farmer, of  Middle Smithfield Township, dated 8 April 1807, probated on 20 January 1808, on pages 7 and 8 of Will Book I. Needless to say, the Smith family trees are quite vast, on both sides of the river, and not trees I have ventured to explore.  What struck me about this Will was the complexity of the family connections within the legacies:  to his wife Elizabeth, a minor William Clark (son of John Clark) and four members of the Schoonover family - Rudolphus, Benjamin & James (sons of Rudolphus), and William Schoonover:


Additionally, William Smith leaves $12 each to William, son of James Smith and to Levisha (Levicia?), daughter of William Schoonover. William appoints as Executor his trusty friend, Benjamin Schoonover, witnessed by John Heller, Jeremiah Wurtzell (sp?) and Jonathan Jones.

No doubt there are family connections among these folk but no William Smith detail appears in the wonderful Schoonovers In America website with the exception of a 1805 Walpack Dutch Reformed Church baptism of a child (namesake) William Smith Schoonhoven, son of James Schoonhoven [Schoonover] & Elizabeth Brooks:



Further clues adding to the mystery are the same or another William Smith married to a Susanna (1st wife?) on the same page of the Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church Records, and a later baptism of child Elizabeth Smith Clark, daughter of William Clark & Sarah Schoonover in 1817.  Perhaps this is the young William Clark, son of John Clark, named heir of William Smith? 

Before the Northampton Co Orphan's Court in 1771, a William Smith is chosen by Rudolphus Schoonover, Jr. as his guardian regarding matters of his father's estate. I will leave it to the courageous Clark, Smith or Schoonover/Schoonhoven researchers to unravel this mystery! 
 ~~~
Note:  
A Benjamin Smith married Catharina Schoonhoven c 1740s, and a William & Elisa Cath. Smith witnessed the baptism of the daughter of Andries Dingman & Cornelia Kermer in 1762.

James, his wife Elizabeth Brooks, and  their son William Smith Schoonover are all buried at the  Reformed Dutch Church Burial Ground  Bushkill, Pike County, PA. Located on Hogback Rd, at the so-called Indian Cemetery in Bushkill, Pike County, are a number of Smith & Schoonover graves.

Elizabeth
wife of James Schoonover
born
Mar 12, 1787
died
Feb 3 1858
Aged 70 years 10 mos 17 ds


Will pages 7&8 - "Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994," images, FamilySearch ( https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28791-35531-91?cc=1999196&wc=M99F-HBY:n1284673525 : accessed 05 Mar 2014), Wayne > Wills 1798-1872 vol 1-2 > image 15 of 483.