One cannot approach the history of the Minisink region without happening upon the works of Edward Manning Ruttenber (1825-1907), a passionate amateur linguist, ethnographer, and historian. He worked throughout his life as a newspaper editor and would publish The Newburgh Gazette and Daily News.
This excerpt from Ruttenber's last book, Indian Geographical Names, serves well as an introduction to the compilation of Maghagh-kamieck variants drawn from 18th century sources which follow.
|Footprints of the Red Man, Indian Geographical Names, p 223 & 224|
18th Century Variants of Maghagh-kamieck
- Deed of Conveyance Maugaukemeck, c 1700, Ulster County Clerk Archives, keyword search: Tetsoord.
- Neighbourhood of Wagachkemeck, 1716, Tax Assessment List for the County of Ulster [present day Orange County NY].
- Mackaghkamack, 1721, Petition to His Excellency William Burnet, Esq. Captain General and Governeur in Chief of the Provinces of New York, New Jersey.
- Will of Paiere [Pierre] Guimard, 1726, of Wagachkemeck, Ulster County [present day Orange County NY].
- Mohocamac, 1755, A general map of the middle British colonies, in America.
- Mahakamack, 1756, Newspaper account of an Indian raid which killed Gerardus Swartwout, Samuel Finch and Peter Westphalen [Westfall] The Pennsylvania Gazette, Issue 1444, Page 2.
- Mehoccomick, 1769, Rittenhouse & Montresor, surveyors, letter to the Commissioners for settling the boundary line between the colonies of New York and New Jersey.
- Mahacamack or Neversink River, 1769, Three maps of northern New Jersey.
- "...the Fork at the Mouth of the Mahakamack River," 1769, Newspaper article on the colonial NY NJ Boundary Partition Line, The New-York Gazette or the Weekly Post-Boy, Issue 1398, Page 3.
- Mah a g kamack River, 1775, A map of the Province of New York.
- Mahagkasmack R, 1776, The Provinces of New, and New Jersey; with part of Pensilvania [sic].
- Mohockamack Fork & Mohockamack Creek, 1779, A chorographical map of the Province of New-York in North America.
- Mohocamac and Mohoccamac, 1779, Letter from George Washington to Maj. Gen. John Sullivan also Mohocamac, 1779, letter from George Washington to Maj. Gen. Alexander McDougall, see also Washington's Questions & Answers Regarding a Proposed Expedition Against the Six Nations, 1779.
- Mahakamack River, 1781, A map containing part of the Provinces of New York and New Jersey.
|"The Fork or Branch at the Mouth of Mahacamack...1769"|
|Maghaghkamik Church sign, 1938|